Life Motto

"Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart."

Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, April 24, 2009

Ms. Andrea Goes to Washington


WARNING: Travelogue ahead

The day started early. 5:00 a.m. to be exact. Two hours after I had gone to bed. Katlyn called (she had been up all night cleaning) and came over to help me with my last little bit of work. Nicole also woke up and helped me finish cleaning my room before I left. I have the best friends ever. The apartment was still a mess when I left and I felt terrible, but I had to catch my flight.

Ryan came over a little after six and we headed up to the airport. He was full of great D.C. advice and I think he might just be my favorite person to ride places with. Especially when the seated heats are on.

Don’t ask me what I was thinking (I’m usually very good at saying no), but this morning the Sky Cap attendant asked me if I wanted their help and I said… yes? Shucks. There goes $10 that Ryan had to loan me. Then, somewhere between security and boarding the flight I managed to lose my driver’s license. I still haven’t found it. Lesson learned: I don’t function well on two hours.

While my flight to Denver was pre-boarding, I saw Cameron from Washington Seminar sitting near the terminal so I went over to talk with him. He was taking a direct flight (lucky) to Dulles (lucky). We planned to get a group together to see the city later that night.

I have never flown Southwest and I found they have their pluses and minuses. Pluses: inexpensive, two free checked bags, and yummy treats! Minuses: being herded like cattle onto the airplane and not being able to choose my seat beforehand. Lesson learned: beggars can’t be choosers.

On the flight to Denver, I sat next to a very nice and quite man. He was older, but such a gentleman. And he gave me his NY Times when he was finished with it. Instant friendship. I thought I would cry or feel some strong emotion when I left Utah, but I was way too tired and stayed in a half-sleeping, half-thinking state for the whole 45 minutes.

While being herded onto the flight to Baltimore, I met a nice couple from California going on an East Coast vacation to New York, Philadelphia, and D.C. All Utahans, listen up. When they asked me where I was from, I immediately said, “Utah.” Oops. Sorry, Minnesota. What’s happening to me? They also asked me about my internship and told me that we need more people like me to save the world. Awww. Not everyone gets an internship with built-in warm fuzzies.

The first thing I noticed when I looked out the window over Maryland was trees! I missed them. After I collected my bags, I played solitaire on my laptop while I waited for Sisi and Rebecca’s flight to land. Lesson learned: you win some you lose some (or most, if you’re me).

Rebecca and Sisi are roommates. I know Rebecca from our Freshman year and we met Sisi in the prep class. Rebecca’s parents met working as spies in DC (true story) and Sisi grew up in Hong Kong but now her family lives in Shanghai. Our shuttle driver was born in Hong Kong so Sisi was able to speak with him in Cantonese. After a long drive through DC traffic, we finally arrived at the Barlow Center at about seven.

Only about seven interns arrived on Friday so we went out to dinner as a group at the little restaurant next door. After dinner, we took a walk through Georgetown. What a busy place! I have never seen so many people out doing things so late at night. You can look at the video I will embed below for a better idea of what it is like. The buildings in Georgetown are so quaint and there are cobblestone sidewalks. We’ll definitely be back!


This is (L-R) Rebecca, Sisi, and me relaxing in the shuttle.


At the restaurant next door. This picture is so funny because it was taken with my camera and I am the only one completely cut-off. Haha. (L-R) Matt, Sisi, Rebecca, Matt, Juliana, Cameron, Ryan, and me.

A typical Barlow Center room. Alicia, my roommate, doesn't arrive until Sunday.


Here are the closets and the bathroom entrance.


This is our group walking down the streets of Georgetown.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a diligent blogger! Your room looks great, just like a wonderfully tiny dorm. Keep up the travelogue and buy some couscous! (As long as it's not 10 dollars a box...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see that you arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete