
1. Mom has unconditional love. Even when I have messed up or been unkind to her, Mom never removes her love and is quick to forgive.
2. Mom listens. I am amazed at her seemingly endless capacity for listening to others including my friends and other women. Sometimes we'll be on the phone and then it will go quiet. Yep, Mom has fallen asleep listening to me again. :)
3. Mom is interested. I remember once in high school, I came home from being out with my friends and my mom was asleep so I didn't wake her up. Mistake! She was not happy the next day because she wanted to hear all about it. No detail is too unimportant; it doesn't matter if it's what I'm having for dinner or what I'm going to do after I graduate, Mom wants to know.
4. Mom is honest. She calls them like she sees them and is not afraid to tell me when I am wrong.
5. Mom trusts me. I know my Mom believes in me and my ability to make good choices and succeed.
6. Mom is intelligent. I remember when Mom went back to school and got straight As. Go Mom!
7. Mom has a deep and abiding faith in Jesus Christ. I have never wondered if Mom really believes what she teaches because she lives it every day. Even when it is hard, my mom chooses to believe.
8. Mom is thoughtful. Almost every day I get a text message from Mom just saying something like, "Hope you had a good weekend," or "I love you."
9. Mom has a beautiful smile and an infectious laugh. She is funny and she is not afraid to let loose. Sometimes she laughs at her own jokes.

10. Mom can be intense when we play games as a family. Don't even try to cheat.
11. Mom is always the first one asleep. It doesn't matter if we're in the movie theater or on the couch. If a movie is playing, Mom will fall asleep.
12. Mom holds me to high standards. I remember when I found out about my scholarship deadline the day before it was due. I was distraught and was ready to give up when Mom told me, no way! So with her support (and my dad, and my bishop, and my teachers, and my young women's leader) I was able to write three essays, put together a resume, fill out all the forms, get a bishop's recommendation, two academic recommendations, and one personal recommendation. All in one day. Things like that have happened throughout my life. Mom believes in me.
13. Mom is welcoming and inclusive. I called Mom on Mother's Day (of course) and she couldn't talk to me on the home phone because the missionaries were over talking to their moms. I can't remember a month or major holiday growing up when we did not have the missionaries or a new family in the ward over. And no one was too unimportant to eat at our house.
14. My friends love my mom more than they love me. I'm convinced that in high school, my friends only came over to talk to my mom. When my mom volunteered at my elementary school, all my friends wanted to be in her group. Thanks mom for making it possible for me to have friends. :)
15. Mom is a hard worker. Mom is always the first one awake. She has taught seminary, directed camps for children, volunteered at our schools, served in the Church, been a college student, worked full time, supported her children in all their activities, and the list goes on.
16. Mom sacrifices, but doesn't make it known. As a child I did not appreciate all that my mom gave up for my brothers and me. But she has quietly sacrificed so much to be there for me whenever I needed her.
17. Mom is talented. Not only is she talented, but she used those gifts to bless our family. Mom is an excellent singer and she used to belt it out around the house. I loved to listen to her recording of The Ark which is a musical that she was in the original cast of. I wanted to be like her and sing on stage and because of her example, I was able to fulfill that dream in high school.Now Mom, Cameron, and I can all sing together (Dad and Chris could sing, but they choose not to). Cameron is even a music major with an amazing voice and a passion for all things music.
18. Mom is patient with me. I was not an easy child. Yes, I have an extremely fiesty side and my poor mom has had to deal with it for years. But she has never given up and now I am... slightly less fiesty.
19. Everything I know can be traced back to Mom. I like to look back at old home videos where I can see our bedrooms where Mom put up posters with numbers and the alphabet. She taught me to be kind to others and shaped the way I see the world. She taught me about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.
20. Mom makes me want to be better. I always say that my mom is a saint, because she is. But her goodness isn't discouraging or condescending, it makes me want to be like her.
I love you, Mom.
Your post just made me cry and I've never even met your mom.
ReplyDeleteAndrea thank you for writing such a nice blog to me. It really means a great deal that you have such strong feelings about me as your mother. I hope I can live up to such acalades. You have been such a beam of light for me, truly a JOY. I love you!
ReplyDeleteMom