Life Motto

"Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart."

Gordon B. Hinckley

Friday, October 25, 2013

Finding Common Ground

The seventh graders were going crazy in the hallway. Twelve of them were jumping up and down the stairs, running, hitting, pushing, grabbing, and screaming. In the midst of it all, one young man stood out to me. He was taller than the others with a caramel complexion and a gray kufi on his head. Saying, "Where do you all need to be?" in an authoritative voice sent most of the twelve scattering, but he continued relaxing on the stairs.

"And where do you need to be?"

"I'm supposed to be in class, but I'm waiting for somebody."

"Hmmm... Young man, what does that cap on your head mean?"

"Uhhh... well it is for my religion. It's supposed to set me apart."

"I'm glad you said that. I knew what your cap represented before I asked you because it does set you apart. I can relate. I also wear a reminder of my faith and I know what it means to hold yourself to a higher standard. It means that even if every other person in this school isn't doing what they're supposed to be, you and I have to have higher expectations for ourselves and do what's right because that is what we have chosen. Can you do that?"

"Yes, I can. I'll go to class."

Forty-five seconds after the our conversation began, the young man turned around and walked straight to his class.

This happened two weeks ago. On Wednesday, I was walking down the hallway with a large, heavy bag of papers to grade. This young man saw me and offered to help carry my things to the car.

Conversations like ours build respect and understanding. They are what can truly mold a young person's character. I am thankful for my faith and the expectation it places on me to live my life according to high standards, God's standards. I am grateful for other people of faith and how we can hold each other accountable when we are weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment