Today I sat in the car crying with my forehead buried in the steering wheel. I had just read a text message about my grandmother's rapidly declining health.
Despite having a deep belief in eternal families and knowing that I will see her again, I am still sad to lose my grandmother and sad to hear of all the pain she is experiencing.
As I was crying I realized that my grandmother left me a wonderful gift--The Gospel of Jesus Christ. I had just left the temple where the older sisters there had built me up, given me tips about how to make Hawaiian haystacks for a ward activity, shared how they overcame the grief of losing spouses, and invited me to dine in their homes.These sisters will never replace my grandmother, but in a way act as surrogate grandmothers and examples for me.
Thank you, grandma, for passing on your love for Jesus Christ and those around you. Thank you for showing me how to be strong when things are difficult. Thank you for believing in me.
Thank you for teaching me what it means to be a Joy.
{For an inspiring, hopeful treatment of death, please read this talk titled "He is Risen!" by President Thomas S. Monson.}
Andrea you are amazingly optimistic and I know the grief that comes from losing someone so close to you. Hang in there! Hallelujah for eternity:)))
ReplyDelete